Masala Paal is also called as spiced milk. It's a famous drink back home in Chennai. This drink has an amazing taste with a hint of saffron and richness from nuts like almond & pistachio. We were stuck home due to a brutal winter storm in Chicago and I decided to spice things up with my all time favorite drink. Masala Paal can be served hot in winter and cold in summer. It's a healthy drink for all ages. Let me stop here and get to the recipe.
- Milk (2%) - 2cups
- Sugar - 2tsp
- Palm sugar crystal - 1tsp
- Cloves - 2
- Cardamon - 3
- Cinnamon stick - 1/2 stick
- Pepper corns - 1/4tsp
- Almond - 5
- Pistachio - 4
- Saffron - few
- Soak Almond and Pistachio in hot water for 15 minutes then peel off the skin and chop them finely. Soak saffron in luke warm milk and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile coarsely powder cardamon, cloves, cinnamon and pepper corn all together and keep aside.
- In a sauce pan heat milk and bring it to boil. Add the spice powder, in medium flame, boil for 1-2 minutes without getting burnt at the bottom.
- Now add saffron, palm sugar crystal and sugar. Allow it to boil for 3 minutes.
- Switch off and serve it hot with chopped nuts and saffron for garnish.
- You can add whole spice to the milk without coarsely powdering. When it starts to boil discard the whole spice.
- After discarding the whole spice mix, you can add chopped nuts and allow it to boil.
- Adding palm sugar is optional, if you don't have just add sugar.
- You can also grind the nuts to fine paste.