Badam kheer is a very popular recipe. It has a creamy flavor of almond, color of saffron and aromatic smell of cardamom. Iam a die hard fan for any cold beverage combined with milk :). I was craving to have this kheer for a long time and I think that only pushed me to make this wonderful dessert. I like my kheer to be prepared one day before and served the next day, it gives an awesome taste. Here you go with the recipe.
- Almonds - 1 cup
- Milk - 5 cups
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Saffron - few
- Pistachio (chopped)(optional) - 2tbsp
- Cardamom - 1
- Ghee - 2tsp
- Take 3-4 tsp of milk and warm it in microwave for about 30 seconds, to that add saffron and leave it for few minutes.
- Boil water and then add almonds to it. Soak it for half an hour, then peel off the skin from all the almonds. Reserve 6-7 almonds and cut them into thin strips for later use.
- Grind rest of the almonds with little milk to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Boil the remaining milk in a pan on low flame.
- When milk starts to boil add the almond paste, soaked saffron and sugar. Mix well.
- Keep stirring now and then to avoid burning. Boil the milk until desired consistency. It takes about 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Fry the sliced almonds in ghee for few minutes on medium flame, without getting burnt.
- Now add cardamom, fried almond to the kheer.
- Allow the kheer to boil for few minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Leave the kheer to cool down. Then refrigerate for 10 hours for best result.
- Garnish the kheer with thinly sliced almonds and saffron. It will be great in taste.
- Adding pistachio is optional.
- Serve the next day preferably.
- Adjust sugar and add as per your taste.