How fancy are these cucumber bites? Top the bite-size cucumber slices with a dollop of creamy tzatziki sauce and bits of red pepper, and get ready to impress your guests.. Bite-size appetizers are very crowd-pleasing and always a hit. These make-ahead appetizers are perfect for BBQ party, baby shower,Thanksgiving, brunch or any occasion.
You can sub tzatziki sauce with herbed cheese or creamcheese and red pepper with cherry tomatoes or smoked salmon. You can play around with it!!Also, it was one among the other appetizers I served for the party; it is too light to be served as a main appetizer :)
Now, what on Earth is Tzatziki you ask?
It's a traditional Greek sauce which is made out of Greek yogurt,grated cucumber, garlic and some lemon juice.. It can be served as a dip or as a spread on sandwich/burgers.It's always served cold..
Recipe for Tzatziki SauceIngredients
- Greek yogurt-1 cup(no Greek yogurt? Check note)
- Cucumber(peeled & grated) -1/2 cup
- Garlic(finely chopped)- 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Fresh dill/mint(finely chopped)- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp(for draining the water from cucumber)
- Salt & pepper- to taste
Note- If using regular yogurt, just suspend the yogurt in a muslin cloth/paper towel for an hour to drain away the water.
- Add salt to the grated cucumber which draws out the water.Squeeze the water out of cucumber.
- Now mix all the ingredients together until well-combined.
- Do a taste test and add more salt or pepper.
- Refrigerate it.Recipe for Cucumber bites
- Cucumber(peeled and sliced into 3/4 inch- 1 inch discs)- 1 large
- Red pepper- for garnishing (cut into bits)
- Additional salt & pepper(if needed)
Add a dollop of cold tzatziki sauce on top of all the cucumber discs.Top it with red pepper bits. Sprinkle some salt n pepper if needed.Serve chilled and enjoy!