Lemon Rice is one of the easiest South Indian dish that can be prepared in no time. And the best part is, it works so well (if not even better) with leftover rice.
I couldn't emphasize enough on how little I knew about cooking during my initial days in kitchen. Cooking everyday lunch was a great ordeal to me. And recipes like this were God sent.
It is perfect for lunch box or even to pack for travel. So the next time, you are clueless on what to pack for lunch or too lazy to cook – you now know what to do!
Cooked Rice : 2 cups ( cook rice such that grains are separate and not mushy. Allow it cool completely. Leftover rice works best)
Lemon Juice: freshly squeezed from 2 to 3 lemons
Peanuts: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Channa Dhal: 1.5 tsp
Urad Dhal: 1.5 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
Dry Red Chillies: 3
Cilantro: for garnish (optional)
Oil: as required
Salt: as required
1. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice to the cooked rice along with salt. Keep it aside.Give it a taste test to adjust the quantity of lemon juice and salt.
2. Roast the peanuts in little oil till they get crisp and turns brown.
1. Heat oil in a pan and when hot, add mustard seeds.
2. When the mustard seeds splutter, add channa dhal and give it a quick stir for 30 seconds.
3. Add urad dhal, red chillies, turmeric powder, asafoetida and curry leaves.
4. Fry for few seconds until the lentils change color. Make sure you do not burn the lentils.
5. Turn off the stove and add the rice to the pan along with fried peanuts.
6. Mix very well but gently making sure the color and spices are evenly mixed without breaking the grains of rice.
7. Garnish with cilantro and it is ready to serve
8. Serve with papads or it goes very well with potato fry.
1. You can fry cashews and add to the rice.
2. You can also add ginger and green chilli while tempering.