Thayir Vadai/Curd Vadai is a very yummy and delicious south Indian snack. Whenever we go to an Indian restaurant my first order would be thayir vadai, as it's one of my favorite snack. My mother's preparation of thayir vadai is a super duper hit in our family. In most homes, thayir vadai would be prepared using left over vadais but I make them with fresh vadais like my mother.
- Thick curd (Yogurt) - 2cups
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped) - 3 tbsp
- Carrot (grated) - 2 tbsp
- Chat masala - a pinch
- Urad dhal - 1/2 cup
- Salt - as per taste
- Water - as needed
- Oil - for deep frying
- Coconut - 2tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1tsp
- Green Chilly - 2
- Ginger (finely chopped) - 1tsp
- Oil - 2tbsp
- Mustard - 1tsp
- Dry red chillies - 2
- Hing - a pinch
- Curry leaves - a spring
- Soak urad dhal for atleast 2-3 hours. Drain water completely and then sprinkle water little by little while grinding.
- Don't sprinkle more water to the batter because it will become runny. Grind the batter thick and fluffy in texture. Once the vadai batter is ready add salt and mix well.
- Meanwhile heat oil. Wet your palm with water, then take a small ball out of the batter and pat it on. Now make a hole in the middle and carefully drop it into the oil.
- Fry the vadai in medium flame, turn over to other side once it becomes light golden brown color. Same way cook the other side also.
- Make all vadais and drain them to remove excess oil with paper towel.
- Then whisk curd with salt. Add the paste to the whisked curd and mix well. Heat oil and temper the items listed under " to temper ", transfer to the curd mixture. Give a quick mix.
- Then drop the vadais to hot water, remove it immediately ( this is to make the vadais soft and make it absorb curd well).
- Add the vadais to the curd and arrange them to a plate, then pour little curd mixture over the vadais.
- Then garnish with grated carrot, boondi, chat masala and cilantro. Now vadais are ready to be served in room temperature or you can serve it cold also. It's your call !!
- Always make sure that you make the vadai batter fluffy.
- While tempering the curd, you can also add red chillies for flavor.
- Soak the urad dhal for atleast 4-5 hours max.