When life gives you over ripe bananas, seize the opportunity
and make ..... banana cakes !
If not, you will be just another me hopelessly waiting for the bananas to over ripe.
While there are people who look for recipes frantically as their bananas gets its black spots, it is completely different scene in my household. I look for recipes first and THEN badly wait for them to over ripe. As both the husband and the wife go bananas over banana, it is our 'breakie on the go' almost everyday and so it gets over in no time!
And when I came across a recipe as tempting as this ( check her website and am sure you will fall in love with it like I did) , it haunted me every minute of every day until I made them today and had a bite of it. The haunting did not end there. It continued till I finished every minuscule part of it.
It is by no means an exaggeration. Don't trust me? Okay, let me put it this way -
It is VEGAN, super moist and one bowl cake recipe... come on guys, I was totally bowled over by 'one bowl'. As much as I like to bake, I hate the after cleaning that comes with it.
I had to literally hide the bananas so it doesn't get eaten before I can make this.
Yes, you heard me right , HIDE !
And oh boy, am I glad that I did? You bet!
It is that kinda recipe where you put in less effort but the output makes you give yourself a pat for the job well done.
Here it goes.
Over ripe bananas - 4
Oil - 2/3 cup ( I used vegetable oil)
Sugar - 1/2 cup ( I used cane sugar)
Vanilla essence : 1 to 1.5 tsp
Whole wheat flour : 1.5 cups
Baking Powder : 1 tsp
Pinch of salt
Assorted nuts/dry fruits/Chocolate chips
1. Peel, chop and mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add sugar, oil and vanilla extract to the bowl.
3. Stir the mixture until all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt to the same bowl.
5. Fold the mixture well.
6. Add nuts/dry fruits/chocolate chips. Fold the ingredients again.
7. Transfer to a greased baking pan and bake at 350 F until the top of the cake gets brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. ( It took me approx 45 minutes, but keep in mind all ovens are different and it is better to keep an eye on them at regular intervals)
Allow it to cool for 10 minutes and make slices. Your banana cake is ready.
The nuts and dry fruits give a great crunch to the super moist cake.
It really is simple right?