Tofu is a common Southeast Asian food. It's gaining popularity around the world, but still mysterious to many. It's is also know as bean curd, made by coagulating soy milk. Tofu is a good substitute for those who doesn't like paneer.
Tofu is a highly nutritious, protein-rich, low calorie food. It's also a good source of Iron, Calcium, Manganese and Omega-3 Fatty acid. It lowers the risk of cancer and bad cholesterol. Last but not the least, it's gluten free ;-)
Over the weekend, I realized that I was making very few tofu recipes like noodles, fried rice, soups etc. Then I decided to make chilli tofu instead of chilli paneer. This recipe is for people who love Indo-Chinese cuisine, like I do...
- Extra firm tofu - 1&1/2 cup
- Capsicum (cut into cubes) - 1
- Onion (cut into cubes)- 1
- Garlic (finely chopped)- 6
- Spring onion (finely chopped) - 3
- Green chillies (finely chopped) - 3-4
- Soya sauce - 2 tsp
- Chilli sauce - 1 tbsp
- Tomato sauce - 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Lemon juice - 1-2 tsp
- Maida flour - 1&1/2 tbsp
- Corn flour - 1&1/2 tbsp
- Baking soda - a pinch
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Make a thick batter using above ingredients in the "batter for frying" table. It should coat the tofu nicely.
- In a pan heat oil and shallow fry the tofu till golden brown color. Then transfer the tofu to a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Heat a wide pan with 2 tsp of oil and add garlic, green chilli, white part of the spring onion, fry for a minute.
- Add onion and fry till transparent. Then add capsicum, give a stir in high flame.
- Now reduce the flame and add all sauces, pepper, salt and mix well.
- Add the shallow fried tofu. Mix well.
- Then switch off the flame and finally squeeze the lemon and garnish with spring onion.
- Transfer to the serving dish. Spicy tofu is ready to be served hot with fried rice or noodle or have as such!
- Always serve hot.
- Add tofu while serving otherwise it will become hard.
- You can add any colored capsicum.
- Adding garlic and pepper gives a nice aroma and taste to the dish.