Cookies and muffins are staple at home.. Recently, tried baking focaccia, nutella-swirl banana muffins, nutella cookies and this beautiful orange coffee cake.. recipes for the rest are coming soon.. For now let's enjoy this orange cake..
This cake is perfect for breakfast or as an evening snack with a tall glass of milk. You can smear the cake with your favorite frosting or just enjoy it as a plain coffee cake like we did. I have already posted recipe for orange cupcakes but this recipe is a little different, more of a coffee cake which you can enjoy without any guilt. This has part all-purpose flour, part whole wheat flour and no butter- not-so-sinful! They aren't as orange-y as my orange cupcakes were but there is a generous hint of citrus in this cake..
This recipe is adapted from here
All-purpose flour- 1 cup
Whole wheat flour- 1 cup
Sugar- 1 cup
Oil- 3 tbsp
Fresh Orange juice- 1/3 cup
Orange zest- 1 tbsp
Baking powder- 2 1/2 tsp
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
1 tbsp warm milk + a pinch of saffron
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Spray/butter the cake pan.
- Dissolve saffron in 1 tbsp of warm milk.
- Sift together flour,baking soda and baking powder well
- In a large bowl, add oil & sugar; cream until light and fluffy for about 3 mins.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well after every addition.
- Add orange juice,zest and the milk and mix for 2 mins.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and fold in gently so that it's mixed well.Don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased cake pan and bake for 30-35 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Very important - Cool completely before slicing.
Linking his post to :