You might have had a hectic weekend and then comes "Monday" with an empty refrigerator... Don't worry, we got your back as this podi will make your day :). Idly Milagai Podi or Kara Podi mixed with ghee or sesame oil is my favorite accompaniment for idly and dosa. Idly podi is one of the most common side dish in south Indian homes. I learnt this recipe from my mother which tastes much better than the store bought one. It has a nice aroma, flavor of ulutham paruppu/urad dhal and curry leaves. I'm sure each one will have their own version of idly podi, this is my version of authentic idly podi. Here you go with the recipe...
- Ulutham paruppu/urad dal - 1 cup
- Dry red chillies - 1 1/2 cups ( adjust according to your spice level)
- Curry leaves - hand full
- Salt - as needed
- Dry roast all the above ingredients in the same order without getting burnt. Keep aside & allow them to cool down.
- Grind all the ingredients along with salt into fine or coarse powder in mixer.
- Now idly podi is ready to be enjoyed with dosa or idly.
- Always remember to dry roast without getting burnt.
- You can also add garlic to the recipe it will give a different taste.
- You can also add grated coconut, but remember shelf life is very less.